whole. heal. holy.
Yummm… made these for breakfast this morning and they were simply delicious. I used the pancake recipe from Larissa Green’s cookbook Love Green Food and adapted it to make crumpets.
These are gluten-free and virtually sugar-free too!
Ingredients (makes 8 – 10 pancakes):
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour (or another flour, such as rice flour)
- 2 cups of milk or water (I used half cow’s milk, half soy milk)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbs honey or rapadura sugar (I used xylitol powder)
- 2 medium eggs (must be happy eggs of course!)
- ghee or butter for frying
- a selection of fruit (I sliced up some banana, added blueberries & stewed up some apple in cinnamon, cloves & cardamon)
1. Add the flour, salt & optional sugar to a bowl and mix well.
2. Make a well in the middle. Then add the eggs to the well and start by whisking the eggs.
3. Slowly mix in the flour, and finally add the milk/water, slowly incorporating more of the flour into the smooth batter.
4. Use about 60ml of batter per pancake depending on how big you want it to be. Add ghee/butter to a non-stick pan and cook on medium heat.
5. Serve with fruit & drizzle with honey if desired.
* Note: If you’d like to make crumpets as I did then the batter needs to be thicker – use half a cup less milk in your mixture.