whole. heal. holy.
I thought I’d share a quick and easy guide to Oil Pulling as I find there is so much information out there, that it can be a little overwhelming. My previous post is more detailed with lots of links and updates on my experiences to date (view it HERE).
I’ve been Oil Pulling for the past 5 months and can definitely say it has benefited me. I’ve used sesame oil (which is recommended) and coconut oil. I would recommend starting with sesame oil (try that for about 6 weeks) and then switch to coconut for a few weeks and see how you feel. We have to remember that each one of us is different, with varying constitutions and past/current ailments, and therefore will experience different results. By nature, sesame is a more warming oil, and coconut has a cooling effect on the body.
1, 2, 3 Oil Pull Me
1. Take 1 tbsp of organic, unrefined sesame/coconut oil first thing in the morning (you can have a sip of water first if you need to).
2. Swish it around in your mouth (pull the oil through your teeth, swish around your tongue) for 20 minutes.
(NB: be careful not to swallow any of the oil as you are pulling toxins & bacteria out of your body – you don’t want to swallow them back down.
3. When done, spit the oil into the toilet and rinse mouth with warm salt water. Brush teeth.
4. Drink two big glasses of water and then you can have your tea or eat.
* It’s important to do 20 minutes (or at least 15 mins), I’ve found that 10 minutes doesn’t produce the same results.
It’s quite normal to experience a healing reaction over the first few days (headache, sore throat, tiredness, etc) – it’s just your body detoxing and releasing toxins. Just ride it through, drink lots of water, eat healthy. Some people don’t experience any healing effect. Again, we are all unique.
Try it for 30 days at least, preferably 3 months, and see if it’s something you’d like to continue.
Some benefits I’ve experienced:
- regulated my period
- greatly helped my digestion (coconut oil)
- clear skin (face)
- fresh, clean mouth with shiny teeth & healthy gums
- notably reduced tooth sensitivity (sesame oil)
- keeps my immune system strong (I don’t seem to pick up the cold/flu)
- keeps my sinuses clear
If you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer :)