I keep on telling my friends how amazing coconut oil is and how they must start using it. But the question begs… why?
So what’s so great about Coconut Oil?
Well it appears that not all oils are created the same.
Coconut oil consists almost entirely of healthy medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFAs), which do not negatively influence blood cholesterol. Yes, I said do not negatively influence blood cholesterol! These MCFAs are used primarily as a source of energy in the body (we metabolise these fats in the liver, immediately converting them into energy rather than storing as fat), which in turn helps to increase our metabolism.
Also Coconut Oil consists of roughly 50% lauric acid which has proven anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-prozotoal properties. YES let’s kill those parasites, viruses and candida!
What will it do for you?
1. Assists in weight control – According to Body & Soul, research shows that coconut oil consumption reduces abdominal fat and protects the body from insulin resistance.
2. Eases digestion – including bloating, IBS, etc. and helps to kill off yeast, bacteria and parasites.
3. Supports immunity
4. Boosts metabolism
5. Reduces sugar cravings – I’ve found this to be especially true. This is because good quality fat is more satiating than carbs and when we feed our bodies correctly they don’t cry out in hunger.
(Source: Body & Soul)
A Myriad of Uses
For 101 uses check out Wellness Mama’s excellent post.
Here’s how I get my daily fix:
– I add it to smoothies (a tablespoon will do)
– I use it for cooking (Because it’s a MCFA, it has a higher smoking temperature than most oils and is therefore ideal for cooking) and in salads. Can also be used in place of regular oil in baking.
– I use it as a body moisturiser daily (it absorbs easily, smells oh-so-good and is free from all the bad stuff that’s in store-bought lotions)
– Also great as a moisturising hair mask (as we know Indian ladies have been using this for centuries)
Of course its essential to buy unrefined virgin Coconut oil. I use the Crede brand – I buy the 1 litre tub (its about R150) available at health shops and Everfresh. I see you can buy some odorless varieties, I’m not sure what the difference is nutritionally, but I prefer to buy it in it’s most natural state. Enjoy :-)