Ok I am now addicted to making crumpets for breakfast! Feels like a treat yet they are so nutritious, easy to make and can be combined with any number of fruit combinations.
I love this recipe (adapted from Larissa Green’s Love Green Food) because it’s not only gluten-free but also sugar-free (ok it has 1 tbsp xylitol)…
Ingredients (makes approx. 10 crumpets):
– 1 cup rice flour
– 1/2 cup coconut flour
– 2 tbsp chia seeds (pre-soaked in water for 10 mins) *great vegan source of omega-3 / ancient superfood
– 1 1/2 cups of milk (I used half cow’s milk, half soy milk)
– pinch of salt
– 1 tbsp xylitol powder
– 2 medium eggs
– ghee/butter for frying
– a selection of fruit (I used diced persimmon, pomegranate seeds & stewed apple)
1. Add the flour, salt & xylitol to a bowl and mix well.
2. Make a well in the middle. Then add the eggs to the well and start by whisking the eggs.
3. Slowly mix in the flour, and finally add the milk, slowly incorporating more of the flour into the smooth batter.
4.Then mix in the chia seeds (which are a gel-like consistency once soaked).
5. Add ghee/butter to a non-stick pan and cook on medium heat.
5. Serve with fruit, nuts, a dollop of full-cream plain yoghurt & drizzle with honey if desired.